Recipe made by @fikabrodbox
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (143g) yellow cornmeal
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (198g) granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs, room temp
- ½ cup (60g) Dry Candied Iyokan Peel, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine sugar and lemon zest. Using your fingers, rub together until sugar turns yellowy-orange and you smell that citrusy goodness.
- Add eggs. Attach paddle to mixer, then beat on medium until mixture is foamy and pale.
- Add dry ingredients, then mix on low until almost fully incorporated.
- Add chopped almonds and candied iyokan peel. With mixer on low, mix until inclusions are dispersed throughout the sticky dough.
- Moisten your hands with cold water, then gather one-third of the dough (about 295g) and place on prepared baking sheet. Pat dough until it’s a flat-ish 12" by 3" log. Repeat with remaining two thirds of dough so you have three logs.
- Bake for 22–25 minutes or until logs are lightly brown. Remove from oven, but don’t turn the oven off.
- Gently slide logs onto a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut logs at an angle every ¾" to create individual biscotti.
- Place biscotti back on baking sheet, cut side down. Return to oven and bake for another 12–15 minutes. Biscotti are done when they are lightly toasted.
- Transfer biscotti to wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Enjoy with tea or coffee!